Friday 19 May 2006

Copying that Feather Stitch

Recently there was a stunning quilt on eBay (and I hope its new owner doesn't mind my sneaking one picture on here). The Feather Stitch on it was most interesting - you can see it here in blue:

Quilt25

The keys to its use throughout the quilt seemed to be it was a thick thread (maybe even what we would call a #5 perle), worked closely with small arms, firstly straight along the seam, and then branches added off them. When I have used any treatment like this, I always ran my branches down to one point at the bottom, making a decided point. In this one, they come off along the length.

So, I thought I would have a go. This is in a #8 variegated perle cotton. Here is my first try, on a Wogga block:

WS3d

and my second on a Mirror block:

MS3a

This thread definitely shows up better on the darker block.

And I don't quite think I have got my stitching close enough, or some of the branches long enough yet. But I am getting closer.

One of the great traditions of art, is that when students were learning to paint they were (still are?) encouraged to copy the work of the great painters as a learning experience. I have to say the same should apply in stitching (and sharonb is going to run a further course). It sure makes you look in even greater detail about how they have achieved their effect.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marty52 said...

You've gotten really close to the original on the mirror block, Linda.

Do you know that quilt finally sold for $11,100? And... the same person bought the All That Jazz quilt! She must REALLY like Crazy Quilts!

7:49 am  
Blogger abeautifulcraft said...

Hi Linda, love what you have done with the feather stitch,(and your wogga blocks) there would be so many ways to use this - and added to. I loved that CQ quilt on ebay, if only I was 'rich' ....
Hugs 'me'

8:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home