Friday 1 September 2006

Found in a Sewing Basket II

I now have to admit I have found out more about the photograph I posted this morning, and I want to say a couple of things in my defence before I post it.



The photo was taken as part of documentation of the contents of a needlework basket. I knew it was a photo of people, but I was working so quickly that it was only when I got home I realised they were in military uniform. Or I may have taken more notice at the time.



Then, it was only late last night I got to the sheet compiled by the cataloguer, for checking. And found the notation "explanation on the other side". By that time I was kicking myself for not unwrapping the lace, but thought it would be just foreground and more boots. Although that black line up the middle was there .....


So I have been for a drive this morning, and looked at it again. And unwrapped the lace.






keep scrolling down









bit more















Fragmenta

Yep, it is men cooking!!!

The full-sized one is HERE.

The note on the back gives a location (near here) and a date - 1908 - so these are the local Light Horse Militia.

We are discussing how to deal with it as an object now - it is quite a challenge, as the fact it has been used like this is more important, in a way, than the original photograph, in museum speak.

So we think what we will do it make a reproduction of it, and wrap the lace around the reproduction, and carefully archive the original. We then note on the catalogue record that this is what we have done. And display it prominently in the basket with the story.

Speculation is fun. I like the idea that this is a way to keep taking a surreptitious peep at someone that maybe a photograph should not have been kept of .....

Any other suggestions????

5 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

I just love the mystery of this! Thanks for sharing.

4:44 pm  
Blogger May Britt said...

I love old things and its story behind it. When we was sharing things after my uncle and grandparents i hoped to find the big box with old photos. But they was no where to trace. Perhaps my uncle did not see the value in it and throw it away. Thats sad.

4:59 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

The fact that it is men cooking only makes it more interesting to me. =)

I think your solution is a good one. I still wonder why she cut it this way, don't you? =)

6:26 am  
Blogger Calidore said...

What a fabulous photo and what a mystery. Why on earth would someone cut it up? You have to wonder if maybe they didn't treasure the photo - did it have bad memories - was there someone significant in the the part of the photo that was discarded that they no longer wished to acknowledge? Questions no doubt you have asked as well. I am finding all these sewing baskets fascinating. Please keep blogging your finds.

4:59 pm  
Blogger Sassenach said...

I like your hypothesis.

My vote is for the man in the center, with his hat off. He's looking pretty studly to me.....

11:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home