Sunday 27 August 2006

Mirror Block 2 finished

MB2

Mirror Block 2 is finished - it is actually the third in the series, I just gave them numbers as they were pieced.

So Jo, you can now see my little Paisley in context.

MS2e

And this is the seam I was thinking about yesterday - changing the Blanket Stitch to short-short-medium-long-long-medium-short-short etc sure changes the pitch of the capping.

For those unfamiliar with this project (it is so long since I have blogged about it), this is one of two projects using eight inch blocks. The first is the Wogga, and this project which "mirrors" the Wogga blocks. In both I am working only with perle cotton or similar threads, no beads, buttons or bumpy bits. The lack of anything else to hide behind makes me really stretch the stitch combinations, and I try and work the same or similar on both projects.

The fabrics for this project are based around cutting up an unfinished supper cloth that my mother worked on in the 1940s, and I worked on in the 1960s. It was still then only half finished. So I have taken some cherry blossom quilting cotton, a dressing gown from an Op Shop (none in this block) and some complementary fabrics to create the blocks.

Both series are being Blanket Stitched around the edge, and will then be stitched together - in slightly different ways. You can see more on the Mirror blocks HERE and on the Wogga HERE.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Hi Chloe I love your wagga. I have recently started a wagga from some wool remnants I bought a few months ago. It has large pieces or strips of fabric - not intricate like yours. I have bought 2 balls of no 8 perle with the idea of adding some basic stitching, but this is not something I havae done before. I look at a few of the CQ blogs as I would like to do CQ, but am not sure about my commitment level. Not to mention the fact that I don't actually do embroidery.

I will study your photos and try and get inspired.

10:46 pm  
Blogger June said...

Hi Chloe,
This is such a beautiful block. I love the idea of just using the threads instead of ribbons. Very pretty.

10:51 am  
Blogger katiejayinpa said...

This is a gergous block. I love the colors, and the flowers....it just has such a nice airy feel to it and is so very pretty.

ktj

8:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home