Saturday 19 August 2006

Time Capsule

I have been back out at Old Gippstown (note slight change of name), in Sarah Carter's, working through the cataloguing.

Remember this sewing cabinet?

Cabinet

It goes with a 1930s Singer sewing machine, and is full of miscellaneous items, just as it was when last used.

This is the contents of one drawer:

P05528e

The piece of pink wood has us a little beat - is it for winding on threads (which then have to stay there), or is it a template. I think a thread winder. The blokes on the cataloguing team think it is a knuckle duster.

And this is my favourite piece in there - imagine this instead of a Christmas card - a range of threads for darning your stockings.

P05528b


The sewing cabinet belonged to a Doctor's wife, who was prominent in the Girl Guides. Can you just see them all darning their stockings????

Technically, we are supposed to put a catalogue number on each item in the cabinet. Think I will pass in this case.

5 Comments:

Blogger sharonb said...

Linda - the mystery item is a thread bobin - used for hand embroidery threads - I even have a few in my bits and bobs

the history of this box you might find intereting when you posted the last image I thought I have seen a cabinet like this before but for the life of me could not remember where - then today when you said it was a docotors wife I rmebered - first aid boxes used to come like this - they were hung on a wall painted white with a red cross on the front - I am sure if you did some research you could dig it up and that this is a converted cabinet

Jerry used one in his shed for years - when he gets up I talk to him about it

8:36 am  
Blogger Julia said...

Linda, I see the old stocking suspender belt attatchments...these bring back memories of when I wore them way back when...yes, I'm old enough!...and my Mum had the stocking repair thread which I have now...

9:52 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Fascinating - Thank you Sharon, and Jerry (and waving to Julia).

I think you may be right - I was puzzled by the unused area top left, with a sort of loose sheet of plywood - but I think it will be the shelf you talk about, plus room for a first aid book.

Not that the Doctor (in Scouts) or his wife (a Nurse, in Guides), would have needed the book.

There are no brackets to hang it, and it definitely has dowels for the cotton reels - but that may be a later adaptation.

But it would have made a wonderful field first aid kit at outdoor activities.

10:28 am  
Blogger Maureen said...

Like Julia I remembered those "suspender clips" and had close association with the threads for mending lisle and rayon stockings both for school and at RPH as a trainee nurse.

I also own a collection of wooden cotton reels circa 40/50s from MiL

11:17 am  
Blogger Susan said...

I remember liking this cabinet when you first posted it. How cools to see what's in the drawers!

12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home