Monday 3 April 2006

Check List

I am sitting staring at my class block as it is finishing itself, and have finally decided I do need to have a checklist somewhere, of ideas and techniques that I go through at each stage. Because I just thought "It would have been nice to have a Suffolk Puff in there - but there ain't no room".

So now, at each planning stage, I want to look at a list of simple headings to make sure I don't forget any embellishing ideas.

So here is my first draft. If anyone would like to add any, I will republish a more complete list in about a week's time (I am about to disappear for a few days anyway).

Piecing stage, add

Prairie Points
Hankie corners
Doilies
Lace
Ribbon
Bias binding
Wide lace

Then:

Consider large appliques over the top, once pieced

Seam stage, don't forget

Add tatting as seams or motifs
Ribbon seams
Ribbon Floss seams
Braids/ narrow lace
Rick Rack

Add work with Waste Canvas at this stage
Add Puffs at this stage, embellish later

Silk Ribbon embroidery

French Knot Roses
Woven Roses
Spider-web flowers

Button Trails

Large lace motifs (eg Hearts to build on) then
Buttons
"hard" leaves/Hearts
Large Beads
Covered buttons
Broken jewelry
Charms
Small lace motifs (eg one flower type)
Single tatted flowers
Watch crystals - haven't done that for a while

Finally

Gathered ribbon flowers
Beaded flowers
Broaches

Again - this is not to replace overall planning - just to make a list for myself as a memory prompt. And it is just a list - not intended to be any more detailed than this - instructions can generally be found elsewhere.

What else goes in there??? At what stage.

Back in a couple of days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Linda, I like to piece in a silk print occasionally as well as add on later..

9:30 am  
Blogger sharonb said...

Great check list!

the trick would be to rank them into 'favourites'- 'quickies' 'slow but effective' 'maybe try' and 'MUST try'

10:26 am  
Blogger Marty52 said...

Oooo, I like this list Linda... In the Seam Stage I would add "think about where beads would enhance this seam" and in the Finally list I would add "add beads to enhance seam treatments."

Hmmmm... I think Sharon must be right... I like beading!!! :0)

3:59 pm  
Blogger abeautifulcraft said...

Hi Linda, This list is great! Can I ask is there a secret to adding heavier items to blocks? I'd love to add a brooch to one of my blocks, but the weight just pulls the fabric. Any ideas would be so appreciated.

8:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home