Sunday 26 March 2006

Button Cluster II

Block12

I am still at work on the same button cluster on my class block, but am pleased to report my experiment worked. I was suddenly struck by the idea of working what I call a variation of the Nancy Eha bead flower (she taught me it). It goes partially over the top of the cluster, anchoring some of the points through the holes in the buttons.

Now, I really wish I had thought of this earlier, as this one is a little cramped. But I will remember it in future.

The way this one is worked is a centre (a tiny gold bead in this case) is sewn on. Then each petal is:

Come up through the fabric next to the centre. Pick up six beads. Very small faux pearls in this case. Go around the sixth and back though the fifth. Pick up three more beads. Go back through the first, and then through the fabric. Anchor the sixth bead to the fabric/button where you want it to stay, pushing back a tiny bit towards the centre, so the petal stands up a little. Go on to the next petal.

There are all sorts of variations of this - it can be worked with any number of beads, just remember the second pickup is three less than the first pickup.

I have other versions of this flower I am due to work in other spots on the block - right now I am really enjoying working on each piece in great detail, and without hurrying.

And no - this cluster isn't finished either.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lil said...

Linda,
Can you please share the name of the book by Nancy Eha that this flower is in??? Does it have other beaded motifs also?

Lillian

12:00 am  
Blogger Marty52 said...

That beaded flower is so cool! I'm going to print this out if you don't mind... another one for my files!

3:31 am  
Blogger Julia said...

Love the beaded flower among the buttons,
I have one of your beaded flowers on an RR we did together, a little different to this one though.

10:16 am  
Blogger Shell said...

As always this is stunning work. I wish I had half the patience you must possess - I'm in awe of your abilities. So pretty.

3:44 pm  
Blogger abeautifulcraft said...

Hi Linda, your button cluster is gorgeous and the beaded flower too. Your block has so many wonderful things to oogle, I just love it. Sandie

7:55 am  
Blogger allie aller said...

This is such an inspiration! Thanks for posting...and thank you, too, Nancy Eha!

4:17 am  
Blogger Belle said...

Your quilting is absolutely beautiful. It has a look of being lovingly worked. Sooooooo Nice!

1:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home