Saturday 1 April 2006

Covered Buttons

I have always loved covered buttons, and have carefully kept them when deconstructing finds from Op Shops (Thrift shops, for overseas readers).

My main use previously was to add them as centres for flowers, as in the flower on the left in my name badge

Nametag

(In passing, instructions on making this badge are on my webpage. Remember webpages??? Grandmother had them before blogs were invented)

I added a button to my current block, as I loved the lace, but it was too obvious, and didn't blend in. You can see it sitting near the top HERE.

So I started sewing things on, and now it looks like this:

Block14b

First piece was the silver section from a bracelet, then the bead from an old necklace hanging down. Finally I added the bead half-circle, and decided against going right around.

I like it, and might experiment more. I have often thought of actually covering buttons as a way to add another dimension to CQ.

But if I am going to use found/already covered buttons, it is definitely easier to embellish them before sewing them onto the block!

3 Comments:

Blogger chaya said...

Hi Linda,
I love your embellished covered button idea!! I am making a quilt from family fabrics and have purple covered buttons, rather non-descript, but from my late aunt's mother-of-the-bride dress. Now I can dress them up with beads, etc. and, as you said, add another dimension. Thanks for the idea. I'm watching you closely...
Chaya

9:57 am  
Blogger Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

I'm of the mind every button is worth keeping and have been gathering and hording others' castoffs for some years now. I have a shoebox full of covered buttons. So fun to look at and guess the decade they came from.
I have some wonderful old threadback velvets that must be turn of the century at least.
You know I hesitated using covered buttons in RR's lest people thought them cheesy, but sometimes the colors or designs were so tempting.

3:00 pm  
Blogger Maureen said...

Oh!Oh!
I recognise that silver peice on the button>
it's so lovely to see my deconstructed Indian silver jewellery being reborn!

9:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home