Wednesday 10 August 2005

Chicken Scratch progress

The next chapter in my Chicken Scratch explorations has been to try and duplicate the pattern on one of my apron finds from an op shop. This is a stunning apron, and the stitching on it is quite different:

CSApron

My first step was to try and work out how to transfer this pattern to paper - so the quickest and easiest way was to photocopy the gingham in black and white, and draw on that:

CS6

I then had a play, and think I have been able to duplicate the pattern (with a couple of slight changes) fairly well. So I know how to do it - just the Chain Mercer #20 cotton is much thinner than the original - so I think I need to experiment with a few different weights of cotton.

CS7

But all in all - I am happy with my Chicken Scratch - it really is quite easy to do. I've got the stitches right - now I just need to put them in the right combinations - and go and have a look at a few others for some more patterns, and heavier thread.

I can see myself lurking near some Candlewicking aisles.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Looks very close Linda! Actually, perfect! I'm eager to get back to some Chicken Scratch, and some Crazy Quilting and some sewing and some aprons and some.......talk about obsession!

7:16 am  
Blogger Gina E. said...

That's great Linda! I went about it the wrong way completely of course - just tried to stitch by looking at the original! The solution is to do as you did, and work it out on paper first...duh..

9:42 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Nancy - I suspect if I say "Spotlight at Box Hill" that, if you are in the USA, for example, you will be none the wiser.

And it is quite purple

6:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home