Wednesday 3 August 2005

Oh Well ....

Oh Well - it pays not to anticipate sometimes.

At the minute my Beloved is travelling regularly to Melbourne (our state capital), which is a drive of about two and a half hours. I sometimes go with him, and fill in my time in various ways - today it was to be a quick trip to a needlework shop I hadn't been to, and then try and do some serious work on the garden where Beloved works.

I had found this shop in the latest Embroidery and Cross Stitch mag, and checked out the webpage, and as it was sort of "just down the road", I was joyfully anticipating a nice little trip there, and a cheerful writeup here, and a listing on my Shops in Melbourne and Country Victoria page. And spending a little bit on some nice things.

Well, after the twenty-minute drive from the workplace, I got there to find I had left my purse at home - three hours away. Not even a credit card. Not to worry, I thought, I will ask if they will accept my credit card number, and treat it as a phone order. I haven't got any identification on me, but she can take the car number - and it is a most respectable-looking car. I am sure Beloved has it in his organiser, and I can just ring him and get it. But I will ask first.

And, that is where it came unstuck. There was a customer at the counter, and she and the woman behind the counter spent about half an hour discussing where to get organic vegetables, and what restuarants would serve a vegan meal etc etc etc. At one point the woman behind the counter stopped talking to take a telephone call, after I had been in the shop about twenty minutes, and then went back to the other woman and continued the conversation. At one stage she brushed past me and said "Do you want help", not Hello, or "How are You", or anything like that. So I foolishly said "No, I'm having a look", because by that time I was starting to feel quite unwelcome, and I was thinking that surely she and the other woman would finish their conversation soon - but it went on and on and on. Then another woman came into the shop - by this time I was hovering at the counter, as the first woman appeared to be leaving. And yes - the woman behind the counter went straight to the other woman, and started to serve her, and they started a personal conversation.

So I left. And found later my purse had been under the car seat all the time. Oh well - it has been a cheap day. And I got a fair bit of tatting done coming and going.

But I wonder - should I put them on my webpage - which would maybe encourage other people to go there???Do I put them on with a note that customer service may not be their distinguishing point, or do I just leave them off altogether??? I have a friend who is a restaurant reviwer for a major newspaper - must ask him if he has ever had to walk out of a place.

10 Comments:

Blogger Calidore said...

Ohhh definately don't put them on your list. How rude. I hate shops like that and vote with my feet - out the door into another friendlier shop, where I spend my dollars. People who run businesses like that are the ones who complain the most about other people not serving them correctly. They are also the businesses who deserve to fail. Harsh I know, but in today's business world, a reality. We have a local fabric shop here, which I used to visit a lot and spent quite a bit of money. It has been purchased by someone else who is rude and doesn't care if she keeps people waiting - so now I don't shop there anymore. I would rather ring spotlight (or wait until I am passing one) to buy what I need.

7:34 pm  
Blogger Mary-Frances said...

I would! I totally hate that! And you might think some of us in the US don't care, but I get "Embroidery and Cross Stitch" magazine and sent my mother in law to buy something from a shop out of there...I HOPE it wasn't that one!!!

11:11 pm  
Blogger Pixiepurls said...

I went to sydney in february, i could kick myself for not finding a fabric store. A local girl said oh yeah i can take you to one, and it was like basically what is kinda like a Micheals out here, a kind of chain craft store with very little fabric, mostly made in the US.

12:21 am  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Aren't you a Dark Horse, Linda! A list of craft shops in Vic. - what a fantastic idea! I notice you didn't included Lazy Daisy in Heidelberg on your list (at least I didn't see it at first glance)and am wondering if that is the place where you were treated so rudely. If so, it doesn't surprise me, as I had the same treatment once when I went there, and I NEVER went back.

1:30 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh Dear - to name or not to name - but no, Mary-Frances, I don't think it would be one your Mum went to - her being in another state. But I think I know how you feel. :)

And Yes, Calidore, I feel the way you do, too. There are good shops out there, and I prefer to talk about them - like my sudden discovery of Craftee Cottage - that was a pleasure that made my day.

And I don't know Sydney all that well Pixiepurls - which in a way is why I started the Melbourne list, for friends I was talking to on the net who may have been making a flying visit, to know where some places were. Some others suggested a few in Sydney, so I have a very minor page for there and Canberra, but it sounds like you didn't see the best the city has to offer.

And no, Gina, it wasn't Lazy Daisy - I had forgotten about them, I wouldn't have been there for 25 years, and don't know what their range is like now. The list started for crazy patch goodies, and I have always thought of that as cross stitch. Sounds like I can't convince you to go out that way with me on a field trip though - maybe I should go there first before listing.

4:50 am  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Something like that happened to me last summer. I never felt happy going back there and seldom do. (Not the same store you visited). By the way, what are you tatting?

6:54 am  
Blogger Sharon said...

LOL - now you have me guessing... I could name one needlework shop both Gina and I went to and we were made to feel like uneducated country cousins - that's if we were seen to be on the same family tree at all!!!!!! Perhaps I didn't come across as someone interested in needlework - beautiful shop just lacked warmth and hospitality... Pity... Perhaps it is like all things though, one has to 'break in' to the scene...

I am sad that I don't get to see you L, I had great conversations just waiting to have your captive ear... Please if ever you need somewhere to go you can always 'camp' out at my place - make yourself a cuppa whatever - you are more than welcome - E is nearly always around just ring her before you come...

My working life is all over the place - but if you know when you are coming up I can always swap a shift around apparently...

9:55 am  
Blogger sharonb said...

I would not put them on your list - as I think there are plenty of small businesses out there that can be supported instead. I would think about naming them and probably agonise about for a week then decide the time was past and end up not naming them LOL
On the other hand I would like to know as when I go to Victoria I don't want waste good shopping time.

4:16 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Maggie Ann (and waving to Sharlee and Sharon),

I just tatt pieces for Crazy Patch - yesterday's is around the pocket of the bag at

http://chloesplace.blogspot.com/2005/08/new-ufo-is-born.html

5:47 pm  
Blogger Maureen said...

chloe,don't even give them a "Zed minus mention!!"
To the other extreme,I found a shop the other day(with the help of a local quilt shop)
Shop in question was shown as being a "Framers/framing shop"
BUT..she is an obsessed Xstitcher as well(with a website) and is the only one I've found with a COMPLETE range of DMC..........plus all sorts of other goodies!!
Very helpful and friendly.....and all the DMC and charms and kits, I could ever hope for!!

9:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home