Tuesday 22 May 2007

Wemyss' Basket

Here is another old sewing basket. This one belongs to my friend Wemyss.

Wemyss1

We had one like this in my family when I was young, and it came to us as an old basket in the 1960s. That one was made out of the same split red cane, and had Chinese money sewn to it for decoration - the round brass sort with a square centre that you can still find around.

Wemyss has kept this one intact since it was passed to her after the death of a relative. It is currently on display in the Stratford Museum, where I work Tuesdays.

Wemyss1a

I like the way the needlebook that on top has been made, from folding upholstery tape. So far I have resisted the temptation to pull everything out and document it all.

But I did have to photograph this little flat pin cushion.

Wemyss1b

It is really simple - the little flowers are cut from felt and just sewn down in the centres.

These have all been posted to Sewing Baskets - and I have one more for tomorrow. Anyone else got any photos of old Sewing Baskets???

2 Comments:

Blogger crazyhaberdasher said...

Hi, I have one of these that I purchased last year with contents. I also have many other baskets and boxes in my collection. I must get a photo of them or at least some of them (we are renovating and many things have been packed away). Funny thing, I was actually thinking about doing a "what's in the sewing basket" on my blog.....I will do something about that.

1:06 am  
Blogger Candi said...

Great basket! I have several that I began collecting but ran out of room! I'll have to send the pic's to you:) Thanks soooo much for sharing!
HUGZ:)
Candi

11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home