Saturday 19 May 2007

Three Bears Porridge Dolls

How many people, I wonder, remember the Three Bears Porridge dolls? These were around in the 1950s, and the front of the bags were all like this:

P00903a

It made you want to eat your porridge very quickly, because the more you ate, the sooner Mum would order another bag. Because this is what was on the back:

P00903

And I think these were the first thing I ever sewed up on Mum's sewing machine. Because they were really special. I was probably between eight and ten at the time. And we were living up bush, and the groceries were ordered, once a week, over the phone, and came up on the mail car.

I wonder if my mother ever said "one bag of porridge, and is the back of the Dutch Girl there yet?"

These are from the collection of the Stratford Museum. I have seen flour bags from America that actually have patterns printed on them - Mum was given some by an American friend. I don't think we ever had them here, but I wonder if people elsewhere (waving to those in the USA and Britain), had these dolls?

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I never saw those dolls! How cute they are. Do you still have yours, then? Must have been a Down Under thing. We had feedsacks and flour sacks with pretty fabric designs, but I don't remember any with dolls or cut-outs.

11:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home