Saturday 16 September 2006

Resisting Beading

I am resisting beading still - have nothing ready to bead on, and better get this Heart finished. And haven't had a lot of stitching time anyways.

So I decided once again to try for a Chicory Flower (she is the Chicory Fairy) at top right. It needed something solid on that pattern, and they are fun to do. You can see one top right on the second Heart down HERE.

I do these a lot - here is another from my block in the last class with Sharon:

NW2

and here is where I am with the current one:

NW1


Now - this is obviously much bigger than in real life, but I wanted to give you a look. Because, part way through, I decided to start turning the petals in on themselves, rather than just ending them in the usual way, where the weaving thread is carried through to the back of the fabric.

And if I push them in towards the centre a little with the tip of the needle, the whole petal stands up quite well - a bit more like a Chrysanthemum, than a Chicory, but who cares. The easiest one to see is immediately below the threads on the paper clip.

Also, in the past I have started at one spot and just worked my way around. Which is what I did at the top of this one. Next one, I think I will work the four points of the compass first, and then in between them, as I think this will produce a better flower.

These are two-thread weaves - so they have to be anchored down at the points. In the middle I might do a couple of short three-thread weaves, so they stand up.

I like working the same thing over and over again - they get adapted a little more each time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jo in NZ said...

Thanks Linda. A paper clip is a great idea. I do the 3 weave one, which starts at the end of the leaf/petal, I'm guessing that this one starts at the base? Nice to see some stitching from you again.
Bugger this 'real life' business...come back to us.

10:00 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

Interesting flower. I'm going to check it out. Thanks! I'm with Jo. CQ and blogging is more important. =)

5:55 am  
Blogger katiejayinpa said...

beautiful, and so graceful.and one of my favorite colors.
ktj

10:05 am  
Blogger chaya said...

Hi Linda,
I have missed your daily blogging but one does have to eat...
I keep coming back to the chickory flowers you made.
If there are instructions somewhere or you would be so kind as to describe, I would be ever so grateful.
Chaya

1:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home