Saturday 23 April 2005

Fairies for Viv

I hear a little whisper from the bunker in Western Australia that a little bit of Fairy magic has arrived at Viv's place, so I feel I can now post pictures of my DYB for Viv. These ones got home a little early, as everyone was so quick, and M3 conspired to get hers done early.

And, I have to say, I am quite happy with how this DYB turned out. You might remember my planning HERE. Now, I have to admit that when I actually posted the photocopy, all that work had been done - but I wasn't telling Viv that. And, I did use the photocopy to do the planning.

So, the finished block looks like this:

Linda's DYB for Viv

The whole block was designed around the idea of the fairy on a branch of Cherry Blossom.

Linda for Viv-part

I also wanted to work one of the Apple Blossoms from my mother's unfinished supper-cloth, which is in the top left. I have put one of the Mother-of-Pearl Rosary beads in the centre of the flower. The Bluebird of Happiness is an ear-ring I found at the same time as the Rosary Beads - there is butterfly on top right from that little find too.

Linda for Viv-fairy

The fairy is one by a local manufacturer of pewter charms mainly for sun-catchers. I did get DH to take the ring off the top, and grind it down, as I was able to attach it with stitches through other parts of the charm - and I think tat looks more natural. I get rid of those rings whenever I can. She is holding a single cultured pearl from an old necklace.

The blossom is random rings tatted together (usually five), and sewn on - the cotton is Alton Basik (sp?), which Sheridan kindly sent to me to try - I love the way the shading worked.

Linda for Viv-dragonfly

The Dragonfly has wings which are my invention - they are a form of needle-lace on wire, in a dark green metallic thread - with a bead added on towards the end. They are fiddly, but I love them. I did do some instructions for them years ago - must see if I can find them again.

So, that is it - I do love this block, and was quite happy with it, and really enjoyed the theme. It makes me want to work with Fairies again - but I have got sooooo much else I need to finish first.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Linda
The fairy block has come together beautifully!
The tatted cherry blossoms have me itching to "try" yet again with the shuttle and the needle.
Maybe a lesson in November if I behave myself??

12:23 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

I must be honest Linda, I do love what you have done with the unfinished supper cloth. If I had more imagination, or was more naturally creative, I guess I could do some wonderful things with the stuff I have! But being a practical Aries, I am best at following instructions, so until I find ideas in books and magazines, or craft courses, I tend to stick with kits and stuff.
Gina

9:15 pm  
Blogger Rita said...

Linda, "Bear"...I have spoken with you before and think I was in an exchange with you... Love your stitching...very creative ideas and wonderful color composition.

10:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home