Saturday 19 February 2005

Naked block finished

Remember this one??? The Naked Block I was working on as a major part of my designated UFO, the Peacock Wallhanging?

Naked block
It is based around a section from a pillow-slip that Rosie sent to me, that I then dyed with Dylon dye. Then, my challenge was to get it a little less"bright", so it would tone in more.

So, here it is:

Peacock Blocks3

And you can see an even larger copy HERE

Basically, what I did was variously dab it with ink from fabric stamp-pads, and then stamp it with sections of rose and butterfly stamps. And included a "L" block stamp as a signature. Part of a rose is just above that butterfly in the bottom, and that is the scrawny old peacock looking in from the left.

Then I dabbed it all over with purple and gold folk art paints. And embellished. I was put off for a while by the red in the peacock tail feathers - but then I just embroidered over them with dark blue. Then I used a thick gold thread to fly-stitch their feathers. Wish I knew what it is, but it is just "found in my stash". It is a stunning thread, but I have a nasty feeling it is from a 1970s kit I did, in the, ummmmm, 1970s.

So now, all-in-all, I am quite happy with this block. I need to look at the whole UFO and work out what I am doing next, but I think it is mainly to join more blocks and embellish those seams. This UFO is now getting quite achievable.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

You fill me with such enthusiam with your work... I love looking at the progression... And ideas, my brain is bursting... I am starting to see that there doesn't seem to be any rules attached to crazy patchwork regarding embellishing... I have often looked at embrodiered pillow slips and thought it was a shame to throw the whole thing out when the case itself had long gone... And now I am really cross with myself because I threw a dress away(couple of years now)that had the most wonderful embrodiered shoulder straps... See somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I 'knew' that I was 'heading this way'into the world of crazy patchwork... Look forward to seeing more... Keep up the great work...

9:20 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Well, thank you for calling by! :)

I have also been reading yours with delight, and you make me want to get out my Prairie Schooler charts again - the mermaid on your blog is lovely.

So, even if you do not get time to start now, you can collect with a new eye.

It is the unusual that is pieced in, or added as an embellishment, that really makes crazy-patch so different. So that is definitely why there are no rules. :)

10:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home