Wednesday, 18 January 2006

Chicken Scratch Heart finished

Heart #17, which is a Chicken Scratch Sampler, is finished:

Heart17c

I was doing a little experimenting with this one - I started with a single strand of DMC, and ended with sewing machine cotton - which I preferred. And a large neck-chain magnifying glass. The last section is the bar above the Heart - where I was experimenting with ways to make a lattice for roses that had a solid edge.

But the most interesting thing is I hadn't realised how different the two foundations were for the different stitches - here they are before the circles were added:

Heart17b

As you can see, one uses straight stitches in the middle of a check to hold the circles, the other uses crosses. Those crosses are less common in patterns. I think now that when I did them again I would extend the cross just a little further into the white check, which would make it look a little crisper, as parts of the purple go into the white circle.

But overall, I am very happy with this Heart. I have someone I need to catch up with in the next few days that I owe a Heart to, and I want to giver her a choice that includes this one. If she chooses one of my others, there is still someone else at the top of my list I would like to offer it to - so this one may not get to come out into the open for all comers.

Now - who is playing tennis today I can watch. And stitch.

Late Note: This Heart has now gone to live with Joan, as I owed her a Heart, and she chose this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo in NZ said...

I'm not a gingham girl, Linda, but this has turned out really nicely. I like the flowers and bow on the little heart. Such a lot of hand work.

1:43 pm  
Blogger kay susan said...

I really, really, really like this!
The flowers are a charming addition.

7:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home