Thursday 7 July 2005

Tatting

Pam was kind enough to comment on my tatting on Janet's Fan Block. I have to admit I have two basic edgings I do all the time - that is the simple one, and this is the slightly more complicated one:

tatting3

I also admit that what I do is "re-write" all possible patterns into groups of five stitches. That way I don't have to do complicated counting all the time. So the pattern for the one on Janet's blocks is HERE, this one is a little more complicated - it has some groups of sevens in it, and is in Kacoonda silks - I love working with over-dyeds, and this is about as beautiful as you can get. Some over-dyeds have too contrasty colours to tatt up, for me. Others have too long an interval between colour changes. This particular Kacoonda is just beautiful - sort of mushroom and pink.

This one is one I found in a book and "re-numbered" to suit me. It is:

Ring: 5ds p 5ds p 5ds p 5ds close

***

Chain: 7ds p 7ds p 5ds

Ring: 5ds [join to 3rd p of prev. ring] 5ds p 5ds close

Chain: 5ds

Ring: 5ds [join to 2nd p of prev. ring] 5ds p 5ds p 5ds close

Ring: 5ds [join to 2nd p of prev. ring] 5ds p 5ds p 5ds close

Ring: 5ds [join to 2nd p of prev. ring] 5ds p 5ds p 5ds close

Chain: 5ds

Ring: 5ds [join to 2nd p of prev. ring] 5ds p 5ds close

Chain: 5ds [join to 2nd p on the first chain] 7ds p 7ds

Ring: 5ds [join to p on prev. ring] 5ds p 5ds p 5ds close

Repeat from ***

Now, I know that is not the most riveting reading for non-tatters, but just occasionally you need to humour me *grin*

2 Comments:

Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Oh Linda, thank you so much! I never thought of rewriting my patterns so that I can follow them more easily. Great idea! Maybe now I'll do something other than my simple edging!

Quick question on the silk you used, what weight is that? The smallest thread I tat with is #8 perle cotton. I have some regular tatting thread but everytime I try using it, I get me a great big fat kanoodle!

2:49 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh Dear - this is one of those boutique threads that don't come in regular sizes. It is much finer than a perle #8 though.

In my young, silly days I used to tatt occasionally with machine cotton, but probably wouldn't now. DMC Dentelles is about as fine as I get.

Presencia #12 is nice, but a bit "furrier" than I like. My current favourite is DMC #40 (or maybe even #60, if it exists) crochet thread. Any colour you lilke, if you like white.

Suppose I can always dye it once it is tatted, just I am always too impatient.

3:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home