Sunday 10 July 2005

Beef in various guises

Now, those who actually know me will be freaking when they see this - but I am about to post a recipe. Yes, really!!!!!

It is all because Mojavi on Simple Things has posted a recipe for Beef Rouladen. It is simmering on the stove now. So I shall report.

But I was taken by her recipe as it is so similar to Beef Olives, which are one of my main party-tricks when we entertain. For Beef Olives, to serve four:

Four pieces of yearling schnitzel (or whatever my butcher hands over - he knows me). This is NOT crumbed. Even if he puts it through that cutting thing, belt the heck out of both sides with the multi-pointed side of a meat mallet.

Mix stuffing of two cups of fresh breadcrumbs, a heaped teaspoon of dried herbs, half a grated onion and the yolk on an egg.

Spread stuffing on meat and roll, so stuffing is inside. Fix with wooden toothpicks, or tie with cooking string.

In a large saucepan, caramalise one and a half (its left over after grating) chopped onions in some oil and take it out.

Add a little more oil and lightly brown each beef olive.

Add onions and 500 ml of beef stock (comes in a packet). A bay leaf in there wouldn't go astray.

Simmer gently for half an hour. Add two chopped carrots. Simmer gently for another half hour.

Remove olives, mix a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of flour and stir into remaining liquid. Simmer until it thickens.

Return olives and turn several times in liquid.

Serve with vegetables (and, that is another story).

Now, those Rouladen look fascinating. And Yummy.

Late Note: the more I think of it - maybe not quite that much dried herbs in the stuffing (I am a cook who never measures) and DH and I are disagreeing, but I think it is 375 ml of stock, not 500ml.

But other than that .......

3 Comments:

Blogger Nansews said...

Must try this.

5:42 pm  
Blogger Mojavi said...

mmm mmm beef olives sound delicious' I will have to try... let me know how your rolaudin turned out. :)

12:03 am  
Blogger Linda said...

The Rouladin turned out beautifully - although I think they would have been even better with fresh spinach - I used frozen, as it was handy in the freezer.

But quite different to the beef olives, and heaps of gravy left over that has a nice, spicy taste. Its in the freezer to go with some rissoles.

4:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home