Sunday 23 September 2007

Market Bargains

Market

My lovely DH has just decided that I needed a market break. So off we went. I got the lot above for $5 - the two doilies and the tea cosy cover (same design on the reverse) were a dollar each. And the Doiley press was just $2. I love doiley presses - usually two round pieces of cardboard, covered in fabric, sometimes with a little batting. They are used to store doilies not in use. There are only a couple in the Old Gippstown Collection, where we now have a "Doiley Bank", so we can move them around. So this one is heading there.

But the real bargain was this:

Melba cover

And it was just $5!!!

The book is undated, but has a feel of the 1930s or maybe 1940s. Any ideas Maz???? It is published in Melbourne, by someone who also sold transfers and pre-printed linen. It reminds me of another book I have which has now gone to another home. That was Craig's needlework book, which had an interesting story, that just got more interesting as time went on.

I was uploading Craig's book on another Flickr page, before I bought a pro account, but I have lost track of that now. (Read - cannot remember the password/user name). So I have started reloading it again on this account. And simply made a Melba set and a Craig's set on my Flickr account. So you will find more details of them over there.

4 Comments:

Blogger catsmum said...

I have the Melba 4th edition and searched it for a date to no avail. It looks late 1920s to me which could easily place your 6th edition in the 30s as you surmised. If I remember correctly, I paid $6 for mine.

9:17 pm  
Blogger sharonb said...

Great find Linda and thanks for putting up on flickr

11:24 pm  
Blogger crazyhaberdasher said...

I am sorry Linda but I can't shed any more light on the Melba...mine is a 3rd edition with no date...like Susan (catsmum), I would guess mine in the 20's because of the style of the bonnet in mine. What are the styles like in yours?

10:25 am  
Blogger catsmum said...

I've checked your scans against the 4th edition and there are a very few differences so far.
The 'how-tos' are all identical but the designs pictured on the top of pages 11,13 and 15 are different.
Maz? How about bringing yours up next time and we'll do a page by page comparison.

3:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home