Friday 30 December 2005

Dragonfly Wall Hanging

The Dragonfly Wall Hanging is ready for binding:

Dragonfly Blocks 3

A slightly larger one is HERE.

Although I may yet pin an occasional dragonfly broach on parts that are my own work - makes a useful place to keep them.

The middle sides were made as one large block that was then cut in half - the central block is from a round robin in 2003, and the top and bottom rows from a DYB (Doing Your Block) in 2004.

Here are the sides:

Side1

Larger one HERE. This one has one of my needle-lace dragonflies at the top (I blogged it ages ago - will find the link later), then a Susan Clarke original pin, the beaded dragonfly I posted yesterday, and a cheapie glass broach. Not sure the glass broach is really a dragonfly, but it looks close.

Side2

This is the right-hand side. Slightly larger one HERE.

The top broach is a beautiful copper one from my friend Chris, and there is a white dragonfly from my m-i-l's stash. The glass button was one from Nancy Eha, when she came to Australia. The butterfly near bottom right is a set of stumpwork wings from the incredible Maureen III, and I think the gold dragonfly with rider was a gift years ago.

I am still thinking about how to mount this. I think I am going to just bind it with a narrow binding, with internal wooden supports, and then lace it onto a lashed frame of natural wood.

But that decision is still being made - it might just get a temporary treatment.

I have counted the number of dragonflies on this wall hanging, and not counting those printed on fabric, I think there are 36. But maybe I need to count again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jacqui said...

Oh Linda, you make me want to stitch! Congratulations on two beautiful pieces, what more goodies do you have to show us? Inspirational, and all the more lovely for being collaborative works :) Now where did I put those beads? ...

11:53 am  
Blogger Ulla said...

To start a new day looking at your blog and your creations make me so inspirated even if I don't yet started to do CQ again but soon...
You are just fantastic.

Ulla in the north of Sweden

5:57 pm  
Blogger Julia said...

Looks great Linda!..
I wondered if you had finished it ...

7:10 pm  
Blogger beche-la-mer said...

Linda, I love the way you have put this together. It shows a real vision, considering that it started back in 2003 with that one block in the dragonfly round robin. And I'm so proud to see my little silver guy there with all his gorgeous and dazzling cousins.

Melody

2:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home