Thursday 14 July 2005

Laurel's Work in Memory of her Mother

Some time ago I posted a picture of this work, before it was finished. Laurel made this cover for her overlocker, in memory of her mother, featuring many of her sewing items.

Laurel's cover

The cover goes over a domed, wooden cover, which is itself a work of art, made by her partner.

The wooden cotton reels, buckles, buttons, tape measure etc were all her mother's, and Laurel has made a central machine-embroidered motif, and used machine embroidery in other innovative ways as well. And, Yes, that is a zipper top right.

I reckon this is the perfect example of how the new embroidery machines have a place in Crazypatch - and this is one of the most wonderful pieces of work.

So we are really going to miss Laurel, who has now gone off to learn computers. But I don't think there was anything left that I could teach her anyway.

Thank You, Laurel, for everything, and for letting me post the picture here. There is a lightly larger one HERE, but I really wish my camera had done it better justice.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nansews said...

What a lovely thing to do.

7:11 pm  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

What a work of art.
Gets me thinking. I really have to try crazy quilting with my e-machine. And I'm glad to learn that machine embroidery has a place in crazy quilting according to you!

Laurel's machine cover is just too fascinating for words!

7:26 pm  
Blogger Rita said...

What a beautiful way to memorialize her Mother. Thanks for sharing this. I am just learning to use a Deco 500 and this opens a lot of possibilities.

Rita Ellison Goff

12:47 am  
Blogger Conni said...

That is lovely and sweet and sentimental …what a beautiful piece of art for Laura to create as a tribute to her mom.

7:49 am  
Blogger Conni said...

excuse me, I meant Laurel!

7:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home