Tuesday 19 July 2005

A Heart in Progress

The Fairy Heart I am making for Juliette on Chains of Hearts is progressing.

Heart in Progress

It is now "A Chicory Fairy in conversation with a Butterfly". There are still a few things I am going to add, just deciding how.

And I have been contemplating a few things as I stitch - sewing time is good thinking time. There has been a lot of discussion on one of the lists I read about "cotton v. silk", usually DMC stranded as the cotton.

I am from the school of thought that, if it fits through the eye of a needle, I use it. If it doesn't, find something that does, and couch it down.

So I am no thread snob. I love cottons, and actually sew using a lot of crochet cotton - I have a lovely range I use for tatting - and I love flower threads. But I am also having another play with DMC stranded - I am getting quite interested in using combinations like two threads of one colour, and another of a third - some lovely effects come that way. Or two of DMC and one strand of metallic.

And I have been thinking about "style". I love watching blocks grow on Pam's blog, and admire the way she uses braids. In fact, I love them, and the way she embellishes them. But despite that, braids aren't my style - I love taking a thread and stitching all seams - so my finished style is quite different. And I don't use a lot of buttons - maybe if I did use more of them, and braid, I could be adding another dimension.

Not a lot of room to play in a six inch Heart though - it sure does make you clarify your thoughts.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Linda, this is wonderful! I love how fearless you are about stitching over several patches. That's something I need to work on. I am still somehow chained to the "stay within the lines (grid perhaps)" state of mind. I'm going to try to get out of that habit! And thanks for your compliments!

12:26 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Pam - yes, wandering over from patch to patch is one of the things I do in this style - it breaks up the lines for me. But then, there are times when I want to emphasise the lines, and I just do seams. But apparently I am odd, in that I chaneg stitches and threads in the middle of a long line - usually at an intersection, but I never stitch all of one long seam the same.

And sometimes I just change threads and keep going with the same stitch.

It is all fun

7:42 am  
Blogger Grangry said...

The fairy heart is beautiful. I'm with you, Chloe, on the threads question. I like crochet cotton too! I find silk difficult to use because I have rough hands from all that dyeing and stitching. I have, on the whole, found that the more expensive the better the lustre on the stranded cotton front, although some colours seem shinier than others whatever the brand. Some of my 'unbranded' market stall buys are very dull, but hey, sometimes you don't want shiny!

11:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home