Thursday 14 April 2005

Rosary Beads

It is raining here, which is wonderful. So I am spending the day making my second batch of tomato sauce, and cleaning the Rosary Beads in between. And blogging.

Which probably means it will be quiet for a few days after this, as I will run out of things to say.

But, after much cleaning, one broken bead, and much discussion, I think the beads are Mother-of-Pearl. And still very lovely. And were very much loved.

Which really makes me sad to think they ended up in an Op Shop, even though they were broken.

A lot of prayers must have been said over them, they are so worn and with grime worked into the holes (which is coming out). And, even though I am not a Catholic, I guess that makes them rather special.

So, I think what I will do from here is quietly write the story of where they were found, and how many, and send out a bead each to 56 people who will use them. And I keep just one for my fifty cents.

Like, I might send out five in the Aus/USA swap. Then I could use a few in Round Robins, making sure I explain where they originated.

I think I would feel happier doing that, than just putting them somewhere in my stash. Maybe the power of the prayers multiplies. It would be nice to think of them arriving unheralded, to someone who would love them because they were unique - I am sure I do not appreciate them enough, having 57 of them. I would appreciate them more if I only had one.

Wonder what else is out in the junk baskets in Op Shops (which is where this was - along with two tiny Bluebirds of Happiness).

I think I might keep an eye out for more Rosary Beads.

5 Comments:

Blogger Conni said...

Hi Linda/Chloe,
I’m a doll maker from New Jersey and just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading your blog. I started my own (The Scoop, Score and Deal at http://www.thescoopscoreanddeal.blogspot.com/) nearly two weeks ago and have referenced your blog in my entry on creating a lace fan in my crazy quilted wedding collage – hope that’s okay. I found “Chloe’s Place” through Sharon B’s “In a Minute Ago.” You are both such talented and inspiring ladies.
Sincerely,
Conni Jenkins

7:50 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Conni,

Isn't it funny - just as you were leaving a comment on my blog, I was over leaving one on your blog. Isn't life funny like that.

And Thank you for mentioning my blog - your fan is very beautiful.

8:09 am  
Blogger Conni said...

Hi Chloe,
I just left a “thanks for the welcome” post on your latest entry and scrolled back down here and saw your comment about how we sort of cross-posted. What an amazing coinkydink! You are quite welcome for the mention - and thanks for mentioning my blog and for your very kind words about the fan.
Conni

9:53 am  
Blogger Maureen said...

Gidday Linda!
I've been reading your various postings on the Rosary beads with interest.I have several sets of Rosaries (complete and broken!) some of which date back to the 50s(1950!!)Funny though,I could never use the broken ones in my CQ........just doesn't seem "right"And I won't bore you on how I cringe when I see people wearing them,most inappropriately in my opinion, as jewellery/personal adornment with all sorts of get-ups that defy description.
BTW:some of my "old" holy pictures do translate rather well to being printed on fabric!

3:00 pm  
Blogger Maureen said...

Linda
Further to my comments re (destructed) Rosary beads;I would always accept one(bead)from you ,or anyone else for the spirit in which it was shared.........I'd probably also add it to a CQed block;but I just can't find it in me to further destruct my old ones(make sense??)
Of course,like your comments re "that tablecloth of yours" I realize that one day my offspring will probably consign said beads to the dumpster.but I'll be beyond worrying then,won't I

8:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home