Sunday 2 January 2011

Attack of the Twisted Fly Stitch

Fly Stitch1


It had to come - I have discovered Twisted Fly Stitch, and have an excess of naked seams on my new Apple Blossom blocks. You can find directions for the Stitch HERE, although I do it a little differently. All I do is, when the needle comes up through the fabric to make the "tail" of the normal Fly Stitch, I avoid going through the V, and come around it and go into it from the front, and the V twists. (Yes, I discovered it by accident, then Maureen B had to tell me what it was)

Anyways, being Feather Stitch Tragic, I had to try for a few combinations.


Apple Blossom 7a

Feather Stitch, one arm to a side. Second pass in green two Detached Chains. One on side one (the lower side) continues the line of the arm, the other makes up the pair. On the other side, one comes out at right angles to the arm, and the other points directly down to make the pair.

The bottom line then has Detached Chain with a Twisted Fly Stitch on top of it, then a Pistil Stitch. The top line has a Twisted Fly Stitch and a Pistil Stitch. There is a slightly larger version HERE.

This version was worked in a fine crochet cotton, and I don't think the stitches bulked up enough. I went in search of something else in my colours, and found some vintage knitting rayon in my late Mother-in-law's stash. It didn't fit with the all-cotton policy of this work, but I argued it would put a little bit of her in this work, so off I went.

Apple Blossom 11a

Feather Stitch with two arms to a side. Second pass lower arm gets a Detached Chain pointing down, upper arm two French Knots and a middle Pistil Stitch.

Pink and white flowers are a varying number of Twisted Fly Stitch, finished with a Pistil Stitch. The slightly larger version is HERE. At the end, I didn't think the rayon was the right thread either - I went looking for a thick perle cotton.


Apple Blossom 10a

Feather Stitch with two arms to a side. Second pass lower arm gets a Twisted Fly Stitch, upper arm gets a Detached Chain with a Twisted Fly Stitch on top of it, then a Pistil Stitch.

Pink Stitches are Twisted Fly Stitch in varying numbers, finished with a Pistil Stitch.

So that was it - I think I am over Twisted Fly Stitch for a while. I have put all these in my Flickr set for Feather Stitch, if you are after more combinations. I'm off to Sharon's Stitch Modules to see what else I can try. Might even get to watch more tennis (the season has hit in Australia) on the TV while I work. Cricket coming tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Radka said...

Hi Linda, I love your Apple Blossom crazy patchwork! It is very, very good:))

12:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home