Wednesday, 4 July 2007

What would you call this Technique?

Back at work, and trying for some sanity in a Crazy World.

This piece of work came past me today, and I need some help. Because I don't quite know how to describe it. I am not sure if it is doiley, a decoration for costume or an unfinished tea cosy. That is fine. I shall just call it a piece of "Fancywork"


There is a largeish picture HERE, and a huge one HERE.

Where I have problems, is how to describe the technique/s involved. The centre reminds me of Candlewicking. Or maybe I should just call the whole piece "Whitework". But it seems a little more complex than that.

Is the infill Netting?

It is certainly a nice piece - on the larger pictures you may be able to see the quite complex Chain Stitch (any names?) immediately on either side of the netting.

Any clues or pointers at all welcome. It seems to me quite early and complex.


Blogger catsmum said...

If it didn't have the netting I'd be tempted to call it Mountmellick work. Maybe it is anyway

9:01 pm  
Blogger Linda said...


Mountmellick, as a division of Whitework. I've even found some with the same blackberries of French Knots.

Not the netting though, but the closest so far.


9:14 pm  
Blogger Maureen said...

I'd say it was Montmellick with "pulled and drawn" threadwork
in the area you refer to as netting.

11:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home