Sunday, 31 December 2006

Can anyone name the technique???

I am wondering if anyone out there can give me a name for this technique, which is on an old dress I am trying to catalogue.


I know I have seen it around a bit, even in modern times. If it was on a cake, I think it is called Cornelli Work - we did it when I was at school, where you tried to do this continuous line of thin icing without ends. Well, maybe the end had to be at the start.

But can anyone give me a name for it in dressmaking????

Here is the whole dress:


The BIG picture, is HERE.


Blogger Marty52 said...

Linda... I have a book called "Fine Embellishment Techniques" by Jane Conlon, and after looking thru the book, this treatment looks like passimenterie to me. Does that sound right?

10:14 am  
Blogger Susan said...

Maybe it's called the same in clothing?

Looks the same as what's on this wedding cake:

7:40 pm  
Blogger dee said...

is it soutache(sp)? Whatever it is it's very beautiful. What a treasure.

4:43 am  
Blogger Bobby said...

It's Cornelli work. I have done quite a bit myself, in pre-embroidery days whan I designed and made millions of clothes for myself and the family. There is a machine for it where the top cord or bundle of thread is passed through and stitched in place. Nearly had my hands on one once.
It wasn't uncommon for designers to send out pieses to have it done, even a few (15) years ago. Used to be many places in Melbourne... wonder if any still operate?

1:24 pm  
Blogger Paula Marcondes said...

Here in Brazil this is called "Soutache Embroidery". Sometimes is mixed with lace making, like your dress. Sometimes is mixed with ribbon embroidery.


2:09 pm  
Blogger Katina said...

When it's done in icing it's called Cornelli Lace. When it's in sewing it's called Soutache.

12:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home