Wednesday 6 December 2006

Bushfires

Things are a bit warm around here at the minute!

Just to let everyone know (ie those who know where I live), that although we are in one of the more serious bushfire areas that they have not as yet reached us. We evacuated my Mother this morning (she is now at my other "home", giving my beloved as good as she gets), and she will be staying there until the risk is over.

We are still working out our plans, but I will probably be in the fire area from tomorrow afternoon until it is over, and don't think I will risk taking the computer. We expect to lose the power/phones anyway, so it won't be much use.

So this is just to say I am safe, intend to stay safe, but won't be posting for at least a week on current indications.

For those who do not know, a thunderstorm went through last Friday and lit about fifty fires in the great diving range near us. These fires are currently joining up, and are expected to come out of the bush near us over a very large front. The experts say they will continue until it rains or they run out of fuel - they are not able to contain them.

But my home is quite defensible - as long as there is someone there to defend it. So that is where I will be. Along with the rest of my community - seems like we face this every couple of years, but this one is getting just a little closer.

Don't think I will have time to do much sewing though!

9 Comments:

Blogger May Britt said...

How scary. I hope they are able to stop the bushfires soon.

1:00 am  
Blogger Mary-Frances said...

O! Take care, I hear those are so scary...glad you got your Mom to a safe spot...is her house ok?

2:20 am  
Blogger Linda S. said...

My thoughts will be with you. Just wish it could be my back helping with whatever needs to be done. Be safe.

3:04 am  
Blogger Maureen said...

Thinking of you and hoping for a weather change and rain to ease the situation.
It's going to be a bad (fire) season everywhere this Summer,I fear.

11:08 am  
Blogger sharonb said...

Linda I am thinking of you - and as one who has defended a home against fire I hope it never comes anywhere near you

11:29 am  
Blogger Susan said...

God be with you. Let us know as soon as it's over and safe.

6:16 pm  
Blogger Marty52 said...

Linda... scary stuff, be careful and keep in touch when you can. I'll be thinking of you.

12:19 am  
Blogger Julia said...

Linda... very scary stuff!
Thinking of you and hoping for a weather change and rain to ease the situation.
it's very dry everywhere, we will most likely see the result of this when we fly in on the 21st.
Stay safe..
Hugs

3:11 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

You take care Linda... I have been thinking about you these last few days and wondering how your neck of the woods was faring... Have you a CQ fire fighting vest??? :-))

5:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home