Saturday 27 August 2005

Wonderful Handkerchiefs find

I am having the most wonderful weekend away in Mansfield, in North-East Victoria. Very busy as it is in the snow season (although the snow is much higher up), but I have had a wonderful time checking out the shops in between dropping off and picking up the friend I have driven over here, who is visiting her friend for her 96th birthday!

I have met this lady before, but I hadn’t realized she was an early needlework teacher in the State Secondary school system.

So she really appreciated my find. If you are in Mansfield, there is a nice patchwork shop, Main Street Inspirations at 112 High St, and two op shops (I am told three, buut I couldn’t find the St Vinnies). But the real find was a “Funky Junk” shop at the back to the Cinema. And she is only open 10am to 2pm on Saturdays, so was I lucky.

There, in a clothes basket, was a collection of vintage Irish Linen (although one is Swiss cotton) handkerchiefs of a quality I have never seen before. Most still had their tags on them, so had never even been washed. Many have rust marks, but I can cope with that. On one, I even found a number where a previous owner has been cataloguing them.

They really are unbelieveable – and the wonderful woman in the shop started by saying two dollars each – but when we got to a total of 27, she gave them to me for $20 for the lot!

Here is just some of them:

Hankies

And I am in a real bind – most of them are far too good to cut up. I think Gina was execute me on the spot (wait until you see them). One is the finest drawn-thread work I have ever seen. The one almost in the centre of this picture,

Just wait until I get home, and get to the scanner! I am hoping this post works - this is the first time the laptop has been away, and the HTML is behaving strangely on the motel switchboard!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

If Gina wouldn't - I would... They are beautiful I can't wait to see them 'in person'... Mansfield is a lovely spot... A friend of a friend had a house there which hosted a mob of kangaroos on the driveway... Bit of a driving hazard when leaving late at night from there... Nothing quite matches the memory of these large creatures bounding easily along beside us one very cold, but incredibly starry night... The car was surrounded by the mob as we carefully drove down a long and winding kilometre driveway in the early hours of the morning...

7:25 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

That is a beautiful word picture you painted for us, Sharlee. We never tire of seeing our national symbol bounding across the countryside, or just grazing quietly.
Linda, I wouldn't execute you, but I would be VERY cross if you cut those handkies up! I would forgive you if you used them in their complete state as part of a quilting exercise, but destroying them...please, no!

11:58 pm  
Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Linda, this is an amazing find! If you don't use them on your CQ's, what will you do with them? They would make lovely little doilies!

So it's Winter in Australia now? Can I ask how cold it gets where you live?
You probably use C instead of Farenheit huh? I'm just wondering. It's still Summer here and hard to comprehend it being Winter where you live.

2:30 am  
Blogger Calidore said...

Lucky you to be up near the snow - 24 degrees here and the garden is wilting, along with its owner - and it not yet summer. Ahhhhhh
Seriously though I could see those hankies hand sewn onto squares of darkish fabric and made into cushions for somewhere special - such as a bed or special chair. Where they wouldn't be sat on or really used. If you can't find anywhere to use them, I'm sure I can...hehehehe

4:36 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Calidore, what a lovely idea! I hope Linda takes you up on that one!

12:32 am  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Your beautiful hankies would also 'showcase' to perfection framed with red or black crushed velvet underneath.

5:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home