Wednesday 24 August 2005

Success!!!!!

Success - I think I have finally got Chicken Scratch onto Denim:

CS12c


This has been something that has been exercising my mind for a while, as I played around the edges. This piece is on my Jeans Bag, and I think I will ultimately fill in the bird.

But firstly, a word of caution. If you have not used waste canvas before, and done a little bit of Chicken Scratch, this is not the ideal way to learn. This challenged me quite bit.

The process was:

CS12

Firstly, I actually drafted the red stitches/outline onto the waste canvas, using a felt-tipped pen. It is 10-count waste canvas, but using double-sized stitches on it - which is what I found most difficult at first.

Then I moved the design around until I found where I wanted it to fit (ie there was no room for it without overlapping, and I wanted to overlap anyway).

CS12a

Then (above) I did all the straight stitches.

CS12b

After I removed the waste canvas, this is how it looked.

Finally, I did the weaving, and it finished up like the first photograph in this post.

And no, you don't get to see the bag at this stage - I only ever post the whole bag on a Sunday. :)
But I will be away this weekend - so that may well be late Monday.

That gives me heaps of time to get more done.

6 Comments:

Blogger Elly said...

It's looking fab Chloe!

9:30 pm  
Blogger Dawn said...

Very pretty Linda! I think I'll like the blue bird either way. You are just such a crazy patching workhorse! Do your crafty hands continue working their magic while you sleep? {gg}

12:21 am  
Blogger Finn said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm very impressed, your work is beautiful. I'm anxious to see the whole bag.

7:53 am  
Blogger Jacqui said...

Thank you very much for the step by step on waste canvas - I am about to start some and haven't done any before so it is very helpful. Just a couple of questions. How did you wet the canvas - spray, immersion, etc. How wet do you have to get it?Do your stitched need to be tighter than usual to account for removing the canvas? Am I making this more difficult than it is, and should I just get on with it? Probably, yes :)

8:21 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Quick answers for Jacqui

Firstly, I wouldn't start with Chicken Scratch.

For many years I wasn't wetting the canvas to pull it out, just doing small designs and using tweezers. Now I sometimes dampen it very slightly with a just wet tissue or cotton ball, just enough to dampen the work.

I just stitch away normally, nothing special - just make sure you practice with small designs, say an initial (alphabet letter), take care not to split the canvas threads and I use a hoop and "stab" stitches (at right angles to the fabric

8:30 am  
Blogger Jacqui said...

I was going to do some cross stich - thanks for the tips about size tho' as I wouldn't have considered this :)

4:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home