Friday 2 June 2006

An 1870s Singer

Today I was out cataloguing Sewing Machines again (Googs - didn't get a chance to get back to you - Fridays until further notice - although I realise some people are going globe-trotting).

This one was my pleasant surprise.

P05182a

This is possibly an 1870s treadle - I didn't realise they made them that early as treadles. It is beautifully inlaid with mother-of-pearl, and I am itching to give it a very gentle clean.

P05182

It has an ingenious folding box cover, and beautiful ironwork for the base.

It was just so unexpected - when I saw it across a locked room, I thought it was good - I just didn't expect it to be this good!

2 Comments:

Blogger sharonb said...

Gosh this is a lovely piece - I can see why you wanted to give it a little clean

6:41 am  
Blogger Susan said...

Beautiful machine! So cool to see one so far away. Are you a museum curator?

2:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home