Thursday 2 June 2005

Crinoline Ladies for Today

It has been kinda busy around here lately, with posts going off in all directions - time to get back to normal. Not allowed to be totally distracted by sharonb going off with heaps of stuff about Chicken Scratch. Not, not me.

So, here are some Crinoline Ladies from Gina at Patra's Place.

Crinoline Lady 4

A larger one is HERE.

Crinoline Lady 3

A larger one is HERE.

and here is the last (next post will be peacocks, but I must post some more of Andrea's transfers first).

Crinoline Lady 2

The larger one is HERE. I just love the way the blue daisies trail - sometimes it is worth going back and looking at how things used to be done, before we got seduced by doing things with a whole heap of different threads and "bits".

4 Comments:

Blogger Nansews said...

These ladies remind of when I used to sit by the fire and do fancywork!

4:50 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Nansews, you must be a mature age lady to make that kind of comment! I love it when my elderly friends refer to my stitching as fancy work! Quite some time ago (more than a year I think) I read a derisive comment on the Net by some uppity young thing, rubbishing the term 'fancy work', saying it was demeaning to women. She was probably one of those misguided creatures who think that ladies who spend time embroidering nice things are subservient to the male species. Well, I'm not, and I doubt that anyone reading this is - my hubby loves to see me stitching and thinks there is something wrong when he hasn't seen me doing any for a few days!!

10:10 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Jennifer Isaacs in "The Gentle Arts" has a whole chapter labelled "Plain and Fancy", where she talks about the two: plain-sewing being "the essential basis of needlecraft. It includes hemming, tucking, darning, basting and gathering, and girls in Australian schools were expected to master these necessities before progressing to more exciting embroideries".

Fancywork "has always been an admired 'dilettante' occupation, but in the 20th century all social classes, to one extent or another, wereinvolved in making or embroidering small objects for the home".

page 114

Fascinating reading - I wonder what they will make of us in a hundred years' time.

1:33 am  
Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

oooh! Could there possibly be anything more beautiful than those! Maybe I'll post some photos later of the crinoline and bonnet ladies that I've worked from my vintage transfers.

So beautiful! Thanks Linda and Gina! Love them!

Pam

4:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home